From:
"Akhavi, Shahpour" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akhavi, Shahpour
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:30:36 -0400
Hello - this is my first post to this group; it's about a topic I've
tried to research but on which I've found no good info.  (I also
unfortunately lack the ability of mounting a user test to decide it one
way or another.)

Some features of the Web application I'm designing require registration
and some do not.  Assuming the user arrives at the application
unlogged-in, my question is this:  Is it more user-friendly to provide
an explicit "Sign In" link and hide the links to the registration-only
content, or to display links to that content and then provoke login once
the user clicks such a link?

Since I haven't found anything in the literature supporting one side or
the other, I wanted at least to gague a quick reaction from this
community.  My inclination (not to taint the results) is that it's
better to provoke sign-in after the user clicks a link, since I don't
believe anybody opens upa  Web application with the goal of signing in
(their goal is rather to get to the content behind the sign-in), so that
making them sign in on the way to their content more closely follows
their thought pattern.

Thanks in advance for your help in deciding this issue!

Sasha Akhavi
User Interface Engineer
Peopleclick, Inc.

"I happen to like all my defects."