CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
SH Ramlet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
SH Ramlet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 10:57:11 -0500
Hi, all,
We have an application in which there is a technical limitation requiring
multiple windows to be open. From the launch page, the user selects a link
which opens a new window containing e-Learning content. The launching page
must remain open in order for the application to post the results of the
user's training scores.

This is obviously not an optimal user experience, but I am told we can't
change the multiple browser window requirement. We are considering the
following to mitigate confusion and errors:

1) Helpful language in the initial launch screen that tells the user what to
expect
2) A warning that appears if the user does try to close it or navigate away

Other than that, does anyone have good suggestions about how to help users
understand this so they get credit for the course? Can anyone share any
specific experiences or language that may be in use that has been
particularly effective in this type of scenario? Is anyone aware of a study
that would help inform our decisions around how to implement this?

Thanks in advance.

Susan Ramlet