CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Nick Gassman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Gassman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:24:51 +0100
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:17:22 -0400, Ron wrote:

>>If you want to allow for the use of the tab key, you can default the
>>focus to a hidden field just prior to the first input box. Then,
>>there's no confusion with the mouse wheel, but one click of the tab
>>key will bring the first field into focus.
>
>I wonder how usable it is, though, to start focus on a hidden field
>since (a) the user cannot see where the focus is to begin with and (b)
>they have to use a keystroke just to begin the tabbing (will they even
>know to hit tab to get focus on the first element, for that matter).

Ron, fair questions. I think if you were developing for a closed
audience, such as an internal development, you could possibly get away
with making a dropdown the initial focus, as you could tell and train
people.

I just don't think it's a good idea for a public web site, where the
usability issue overcomes the need for speed.

My assumption is that if you are using the tab key, and you can't see
where the focus is, you'll hit the tab key just to see where it shows
up.

*    Nick Gassman - Usability and Standards Manager - http://ba.com *