CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Thu, 31 May 2007 11:58:53 -0400
Interesting comments!  Thanks.

But I would like to share the new Vista interface guideline for radio buttons (see below).  They specify that they are exceptions to that rule of a default always selected...  I think that would apply to our situation.

Are we in front of a Nielsen vs Microsoft debate?

But for my specific problem :  radio buttons will take two lines.  Our forms are already long.  We don't want any more scrolling.  We tried drop down lists and radio buttons for Yes and No : it just seems weird in the interface...

So, if any of you have any more suggestions, they are more than welcome!

Anne

---

Because a group of radio buttons represents a set of mutually exclusive choices, always have one radio button selected by

default. Select the safest (to prevent loss of data or system access) and most secure option. If safety and security aren’t factors, select the most likely or convenient option.

Exceptions: Don’t have a default selection if:

􀀀m There is no acceptable default option for safety, security, or legal reasons and therefore the user must make an explicit

choice. If the user doesn’t make a selection, display an error message to force one.

􀀀m The UI must reflect the current state and the option hasn’t be set yet. A default value would incorrectly imply that the

user doesn’t need to make a selection.

􀀀m The goal is to collect unbiased data. Default values would bias data collection.

􀀀m The group of radio buttons represents a property in a mixed state, which happens when displaying a property for

multiple objects that don’t have the same setting. Don’t display an error message in this case since each object has a valid

state.