CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
From:
"Cohen, Marci" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 09:22:14 -0500
Yep.com claims an interesting approach as a search engine, that the results
are based on usability and popularity, according to the "What is Yep.com"
page, http://yep.com/YEP/AboutYep.

However, after looking over some of the metrics they use to determine
usability, I'm wondering if the are just using "usability" as a buzzword
selling point.  These are the criteria they claim as usability measures:

How many votes a site receives
How often the site is added to a bookmark list
How fast the site loads
How much time people spend on the site
How often the site is updated
How many people visit the site in a 24-hour period
How many people come back during prime time hours
How many multimedia applications a site has
How often people go to the site from a search engine
How often people come back to the site

As further evidence that they don't *get* usability, the friend who told me
about the site warned me to not install it because she did and now can't
uninstall it.

The concept sounds like a good idea, but the execution could use some work.

Marci Cohen
User Experience Analyst
RollingStone.com
312.642.7560 x136