CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Max Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:34:32 -0600
An interesting discussion!

One point I would add is that we might treat "ratings scales" (as in
the movie examples above) and "survey scales" differently.
Recommendation (e.g. collaborative filtering) and summarization
algorithms typically renormalize averages on a per-user basis; these
systems might not be seeking "the truth" about the ratable entity as
much as they are trying to find things that the user likes more or
less than his/her average.

On the other hand, we often wish for subjects to be as consistent as
possible across survey responses, which is why labels are so critical.
 I agree with the earlier thought that mid-point labels are often
unnecessary or even harmful (as in the "dull" example).  In addition,
it's often possible to re-word the question so that the standard
agree/disagree scales can be used.

Here's another list of scales that I've referenced in the past:
http://dataguru.org/ref/survey/responseoptions.asp

Max Harper
GroupLens Research
University of Minnesota