From:
Alastair Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alastair Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:25:34 -0000
Shawn wrote:
> 1. Why is Helvetica still the font of choice? (other popular
> sans-serif fonts are Arial and Verdana).

I believe that historically, Helvetica has been distributed with Apple
Macs, and is seen as a nicer font than Arial for those that have it.

I think the bottom line is that there is no harm in specifying as many
fonts as you please.

A browser will use the first one it gets to that it has, falling back to
the family type as a last resort. For an extreme example, this is a
snippet of CSS from a site run by someone who is very knowledgeable
(some might say obsessive) about typography:

font: 1.1em/1.4em  	Constantia, Rockwell, Serifa, "Palatino
Linotype", "Lucida Fax","Bitstream Vera Serif", "Hoefler Text", Hoefler,
Baskerville, "Warnock Pro", "Chaparral Pro", Officina, TheSerif, TheMix,
"Lucida Grande", Georgia, "Trebuchet MS", serif;

(Can anyone guess who's site it is? ;-)

So if you have Constantia you'll see that, if you don't have any of
those specified you'll see your default serif font.

Full explanation here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#algorithm

Kind regards,

-Alastair

--

Alastair Campbell   |   Director of Research & Development

Please refer to the following disclaimer for this message:
http://www.nomensa.com/email-disclaimer.html