From:
Adrian Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adrian Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:22:27 +0100
On 24 Aug 2006, at 15:44, Firstname Lastname wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if someone can throw some light on how does the
> technology
> affect the ui design?? i mean if the technology is Java,struts,
> webshpere
> etc... how does it affect a user experience designer's or ui
> designer's
> design??

One area it affects the way I work is the technologies responsiveness
to change. Some frameworks are much easier to update and revise than
others. This can effect how quickly you want to move from iterating
prototypes to working developing the "real" code.

To pick one example: one project I worked on implemented the whole
project in one language (Perl) before porting it to the one required
by the client (Java) because the development team could iterate
through alternate solutions much more quickly with the former.

That said my experience is that development process choice generally
has more impact than the development technologies. I've found it much
easier to communicate and implement user experience issues when the
development teams are working with agile methods like XP/Scrum than
more traditional methodologies, no matter what they're implementing
it in.

> and what technological knowledge a user experience designer or ui
> designer needs to have???

Enough to be able to communicate well with the developers.

In a good environment you need to explain your design, help everybody
understand the intent behind the design decisions and work with them
to ensure that they can be implemented in the time and budget allocated.

In a bad environment you need to know enough to call "bullshit" when
somebody tells you something cannot be done, or will take 8 weeks to
implement :)

Cheers,

Adrian