CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Gray Kuglen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gray Kuglen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:33:08 -0800
>There is no tried-and-true answer to the question of what should
>appear in search results listings.  I found the search discussion in
>the Rosenfeld and Morville book ("Architecture for the World Wide
>Web") to be clear and useful for beginners, but found their account of
>relevance ranking to be naive.
>
>Marti Hearst

Dear List Members:

This is my first response to this list. I think Marti hit it on the head
by saying there is no definitive answer to this. However, I'd like to add
from
a practical perspective, that it all depends on the subject matter e.g.
searching for a specific type of job or the location of that job. You would
probably put on the results page the Title, Company and Location. The
Title may then link to the Details Page.

Further, I think it's almost more important to determine what you
will be placing on the Search Page. These two are integral components
of an effective system. What are the search parameters etc. Also, give
clear examples and instruction where needed preferably on that page.

Lastly, and I'm probably gonna get flack on this one, force feed them.
On the search page do as much of the work for them as possible using
drop down lists/menus, check boxes etc.. From my experience the general
public has not caught on to Boolean Operators. If you give someone
just a blank box, their gonna draw a blank.

Gray Kuglen
VIA