Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 15:25:03 +0000
> Try Defeating Feature Fatigue from the Harvard Business Review:
> http://tinyurl.com/2s2lrd

I haven't read that particular HBR article, but after skimming the description it reminded me of a few other interesting reads... If more information about feature fatigue and simplicity is in fact what you're looking for, I'd highly recommend a couple books:

1. Why More is Less, by Barry Schwartz. A great read about the negative ramifications of choice overload. (And the counter-point to the Chris Anderson's "long-tail" argument.) You can even watch his TED presentation here: http://tedblog.typepad.com/tedblog/2006/09/paradox_of_choi.html#

and

2. The Laws of Simplicity, by John Maeda.  John is a professor at the MIT Media Lab and his arguments and thinking around the benefits of simplicity in technology, tools, and culture are exquisitely... well, simple. It's a quick read and pretty inspiring. John's blog can be found here: http://weblogs.media.mit.edu/SIMPLICITY/
If you have a chance to hear him speak -- go. You won't regret it.

/frank

Frank Germano
Director of Product Design
Maven Networks