CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Ron Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:45:58 -0400
I don't have any eye tracking evidence as I've not used an eye tracker yet.
However, I have seen numerous times where test participants in a usability
test have missed items that we as designers all thought self evident.

I think that in the case you describe, it may have to do with graphic
design.  Can you describe what the new elements looked like?  How much white
space was around them?  Were they light characters on a dark background?

The two observations that I've made in the past regarding navigation
elements is that:

1) whenever they are buried in a dark background, the user seems to skip
over them, looking for the light areas of the page more often. My theory on
that is that the graphic design had an impact and the dark areas looked more
like separators or borders (like Windows title bars...) and the user skips
over them.

2) when something new is introduced, it has to be 'just noticeably
different' and that requires a change on at least two dimensions--different
size, shape, font, color, etc. to be seen.  If you change it on only one
dimension, many people don't notice it.  In the industrial design
literature, this is called multi-diimensional coding.

Also, one more aside, and again anecdotal, I've seen people notice things if
they appear in a space where there was previously nothing.  If it's put in
to replace something and they've been looking at the page before, they won't
notice it.  This can also happen if you put something like advertising on
the first page in a specific location, then put something important in the
same location on lower pages (without being just noticeably different - Don
Norman has lots of references from psychology and perception on JND).
Essentially on the first pages you've taught people what to expect in that
location, and if it's an ad, they won't look there on subsequent pages.

Ron Perkins, Principal
DesignPerspectives.com
Usability and Interaction Design Consulting
978-465-6083