Sender: "ACM SIGCHI WWW Human Factors (Open Discussion)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 23:32:51 +0200
From: Peter Boersma <[log in to unmask]>
Deb wrote:
> Well actually I'm still working through the "how", but I can tell you
> the why:
>
> 1. $'s for UX
> 2. Alignment with organizational objectives
> 3. Compliance with 508 standards
[snip]
> does this give you a better picture?

To me it does and it rings a bell: in working for financial clients, this approach makes total sense.

In a project I am currently working on I meet regularly with Product Managers who define financial products (say a type of mortgage, a stock fund, or a type of savings account), Marketeers who devise ways to sell the product to prospective customers, the web being one of the available channels (branch offices, direct sales, brochures, events, partnerships, etc. being others).
My direct client is the Digital Media department that controls the online channel for all products and works with all marketeers on promoting, selling and maintaining products online.

And it is this client organization that could try to sell UX services in-house to product and marketing teams. In a way they could productize their services, define standard ways-of-working, deliverables, quality levels, and even sell to the highest bidder or most interesting client (as long as they serve the greater business need, of course).

Peter
--
Peter Boersma | Senior Interaction Designer | Info.nl
http://www.peterboersma.com/blog | http://www.info.nl