CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Alok Jain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:13:29 -0500
I think, since this is mostly the issue that relates to
accessibility (also to advanced users to a certain degree), the
question is really if these people are aware of this
functionality, in our testing done so far, we have nev er
encountered users using Alt+Down. So as alwas answer starts with
knowing who the users are and if they are aware.

Next we would need to tie it to user goals, if efficiency is
more important, then removal of go button should benefit, and
some training/help can be provided to support. however if
intutiveness is more important, then I don't think this is very
well known behavior, hence IMHO we shouldn't eliminate go
button.

Regards
Alok jain

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On    , Francois Jordaan ([log in to unmask])
wrote:

> I know this topic is a bit hackneyed, but bear with me.
>
> I'm talking about <select> dropdown menus used for navigation
-- to navigate
> to another page.
>
> Generally accepted wisdom:
>
> 1. A [Submit] button (usually 'Go') is necessary to ensure
accessibility if
> javascript is unavailable.
> 2. Javascript onChange behaviour is bad as it prevents
keyboard-navigating
> -- whether using a screen reader or not.
>
> The latter is not quite true, however, as someone today
pointed out to me.
> If you tab onto the dropdown, and instead of hitting DOWN, you
hit ALT-DOWN,
> you can actually select any of the items in the menu as
normal.

> His argument was that this means its OK, accessibility-wise,
to use onChange
> because
> a) people who rely on keyboard-navigation are likely to know
the shortcut,
> especially since
> b) this is pretty much the default behaviour on websites --
the vast
> majority lack Go buttons
>
> ...and from a usability perspective, not having to click twice
(on the item
> and on Go) is good for the >90% of users who are
javascript-capable and use
> the mouse.
>
> If you accept this argument, is it then confusing to have a Go
button as
> well? That seems to be the norm on BBC sites, e.g.
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/country_profiles/default.stm
> (The button is still necessary if javascript is unavailable,
although you
> could have hidden it for javascript-capable users.)
>
> Opinions/evidence appreciated,
>
> francois
>
> Wheel Group, Beaumont House, Kensington Village, Avonmore
Road, London W14