From:
Andrew Maben <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Maben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:21:12 -0400
On Jun 1, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Hal Shubin wrote:
> At 11:21 AM 5/31/2007, Claudia Alden Case wrote:
>
>> Jacob,
>> I disagree with your suggestion of leaving none of the radio
>> buttons on.
>>
>> >From a usability standpoint and by definition, radio buttons
>> should always
>> have one choice selected.  Otherwise, you break the metaphor.
>>
>> Radio buttons got their name from the physical buttons used on
>> radios to
>> select preset stations - when one of the buttons was pressed, it
>> would pop
>> out when another button was pushed in.
>
> But maybe the metaphor isn't a good one anymore.

Maybe the fact that I think I can remember that far back
automatically casts doubt on the reliability of my memory? But I do
seem to recall unpacking a brand new stereo with none of the radio
buttons depressed, awaiting my choice.

Be that as it may, while the arguments for a pre-selected default are
sound, this discussion has brought to light various valid exceptions
which may perhaps "break", but certainly don't destroy or invalidate,
the metaphor.

Andrew

http://www.andrewmaben.net

"In a well designed user interface, the user should not need
instructions."