Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 10:44:48 -0500
All,

I am currently doing research on the topic of where User Centered Design
fits into an organization. I am trying to gather background information on
as many different companies as possible and where UCD fits into their
organization to be able to gather a "big picture" view.

It would help me out tremendously if you could respond to me directly at
[log in to unmask] with the following type of information:

Name of Organization
Type of Organization
Overall Description of Organization
Location of UCD within the Organization
Pros
Cons

As an example, in the past I worked at Lexmark International - so I was
able to put together the following:
-----------------------------
Name of Organization:
Lexmark International

Type of Organization:
Printer Company

Overall Description of Organization:
Consists of Consumer Printer Division and Business Printer Division. Both
divisions have their own Vice President and President.

Location of UCD within the Organization:
UCD exists primarily in BPD division. In this division, the UCD team
reports to the manager of the development team who reports directly to the
Vice President of the BPD division.

Pros:
UCD has close contact with development team
UCD isn't far from the Vice President

Cons:
The manager of the development team was a developer herself. If there was
a tight deadline or a conflict issue, the development team would usually
"win".

I would greatly appreciate any feedback! I will be happy to share my
results with the group once I have gotten a good amount of feedback.

Thanks,

Jonathan Sidarous
Business Analyst/Usability Consultant