CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Gustavo Gawry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gustavo Gawry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 08:51:56 -0300
Its important to say that most screen readers don't read title
attributes by default.

So if you use that you will still have the same problem.

Something you can do is use the "Read more" and an image with the ">>"
and with the ALT atribute like "More about [title]" linking both "Read
more" and the image.

the screen reader should read something like that "link. Read more.
image more about [title]"

Regards,

Gawry

On 7/4/07, Carsten Grandke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 04.07.2007 um 01:35 schrieb Jim Griesemer:
>
> > I Concur with Joan. From my experience with section
> > 508 conformance, it is important to make the links
> > descriptive. People who use screen readers often
> > listen to the entire page first and then tab from link
> > to link. Identical "Read more" links are useless. As
> > Joan suggested, I would go with Read more about
> > [title].
>
> If screen space usage is more important than seo you can take the
> best of both worlds:
>
> use the "read more" link with a title-attribute that contains the
> unique description "read the full article about ..." or the like. You
> may even use the ">>" as most screenreaders will read the title text
> if one is given.
>
> Seeing users will use the proximity and layout to instantly combine
> the linkt & the title while blind users get the neccessary
> information  read to them.
>
> Greetings,
> Carsten

Gustavo Gawry