CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:41:09 +0530
Hello All,

I appreciate all the quick response; all the materials were really helpful
to get an idea and gathering knowledge about usability testing; however
would still be waiting if someone would like to share their experiences
regarding any major problems faced during the user testing; as while
conducting few of my tests, I noticed that few of the users were very
conscious when they knew that they are being noticed and the sessions are
being recorded. I believe this would not lead me to the results I am
targeting for; also I noticed that they are unable to think a loud as I
see them being conscious and hastate to do so in presence of a
representative taking notes; any guidance or shearing from the members
would be great help.

Thanks once again.

Best Regards,
Sandeep Rathod
Sr. HCI Designer

Zycus - SAVE WITH EASE
Email: [log in to unmask] | Tel. Desk: +91 22 6640 7676 (Extn: 7689)
Website: http://www.zycus.com

"Albert, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "ACM SIGCHI WWW Human Factors (Open Discussion)"
09/12/2008 06:34 AM

Please respond to
"Albert, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: CHI-WEB Digest - 5 Sep 2008 to 11 Sep 2008 (#2008-55)

I would also add another book to your recommended reading list, which I
recently wrote (with Tom Tullis). It is called "Measuring the User
Experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics". It
just came out this past Spring, and I think it might be quite useful for
your situation. Best of luck,

Bill Albert

William Albert, Ph.D.
Director of User Experience
Fidelity Investments

Date:    Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:32:57 +0530
From:    [log in to unmask]
Subject: Best Practices for Measuring Usability

Hello

I Design User Interface while enforcing User Centered Design approach
for
web based products. as the product was under the pilots where management

have encountered many usability issues with the product ease of use
while
in demo with end users; they now have decided to conduct a usability
testing before we plan the next release cycle.

As a lead User Experience Designer this comes in my plate and I have
less
then 2 month to provide a report with the issues and solutions to
improve
the product usability (we are targeting at zero learning application)
for
the next release cycle to plan. I plan to conduct the testing with 10
users per feature based on preset criteria - Task Completion, Errors,
User
Satisfaction and amount of Time to accomplish the task.

I am novice to usability testing and have never conducted it before; I
would like to learn some of your experiences and learning over the
subject. If we can share some sample report formats would be a great
help.

Thanks,

Best Regards,
Sandeep Rathod

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:39:27 -0400
From:    Sharon Laskowski <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Best Practices for Measuring Usability

This sounds like a summative, baselining type of test given the =20
metrics you have outlined.   You could start with the ISO standard =20
usability test format:
ISO/IEC 25062:2006
http://www.iso.org/iso/search.htm?qt=3D25062&sort=3Drel&type=3Dsimple&pu
blis=
hed=3Don
Software engineering -- Software product Quality Requirements and =20
Evaluation (SQuaRE) -- Common Industry Format (CIF) for usability test
=20
reports

also see http://zing.ncsl.nist.gov/iusr/ for other information.

Sharon

Quoting [log in to unmask]:

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:00:59 -0500
From:    SH Ramlet <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, Sandeep,

What you are asking is rather broad--it's almost like asking for a quick
tutorial in best practices for software development. It is difficult to
give
you targeted information for such a broad topic in a short period of
time.
Have you considered hiring a consultant who has a methodology already in
place? That's a great opportunity to: 1) get your project completed
quickly,
and 2) learn from them to develop your own internal methodology going
forward.

That said, there are several excellent texts on usability testing; one
that
I have found useful is Jeffrey Rubin's "Handbook of Usability Testing",
which I find to be a good primer on the topic. It includes some
templates,
as well.

You can also find great resources on the web site of the Usability
Professionals' Association:  http://www.upassoc.org. Specifically, there
is
a nice section on Methods:
http://www.upassoc.org/usability_resources/guidelines_and_methods/

I hope that helps get you started--

Susan Ramlet
Usability Engineer, Enterprise Applications
Medtronic

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:02 AM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I Design User Interface while enforcing User Centered Design approach
for
> web based products. as the product was under the pilots where
management
> have encountered many usability issues with the product ease of use
while
> in demo with end users; they now have decided to conduct a usability
> testing before we plan the next release cycle.
>
> As a lead User Experience Designer this comes in my plate and I have
less
> then 2 month to provide a report with the issues and solutions to
improve
> the product usability (we are targeting at zero learning application)
for
> the next release cycle to plan. I plan to conduct the testing with 10
> users per feature based on preset criteria - Task Completion, Errors,
User
> Satisfaction and amount of Time to accomplish the task.
>
> I am novice to usability testing and have never conducted it before; I
> would like to learn some of your experiences and learning over the
> subject. If we can share some sample report formats would be a great
help.

> Thanks,
>
> Best Regards,
> Sandeep Rathod

End of CHI-WEB Digest - 5 Sep 2008 to 11 Sep 2008 (#2008-55)