From:
Aras Kannu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aras Kannu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 08:17:40 -0500
The product we use inside of our framework will probably come out with a
LIVE GRID implementation. Here is a demo that someone has put together
http://www.siteartwork.de/livegrid_demo/
His Blog may give your dev team some ideas on his implementation
(although the technology may be different from yours)
http://www.siteartwork.de/2007/11/10/livegrid-component-with-extjs/

I have not come across any formal design guidelines for live grid.

However, I do think that the scrollbar jumping back is a major issue. As
far as informing the user about what the range is they are viewing, I am
wondering if it is necessary in all cases. If you display a "Total
records: #####" at the bottom on initial display of the grid, do you
need to constantly tell the user what specific range they are looking
at? I remember reading that it is expensive to calculate with every
scrollbar movement. In many cases, those numbers (range) may not mean
much to user other than just providing a mere comfort feeling.

-aras