From:
Andy Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:20:53 +0000
On 1 Dec 2004, at 17:00, Pat wrote:

> In the few months since Sept. 2004, has the future of the purposeful,
> user-
> requested pop-up all but died? With Firefox and IE6 (and service pack 2
> patches) rather vigorously blocking pop-ups, will novice/casual users
> selectively enable/request pop-ups (will they even know how)?
> My company has historically used pop-ups for things like Help, contact
> forms, tour/demo, etc. I'm wondering now (particularly as I experience
> the
> Firefox and IE6 tactics myself at home) if the risks of a user not
> getting
> a requested pop-up outweigh their other possible benefits.

Hi, Pat --

The Firefox/Mozilla pop-up blocking still allows pop-ups through when
they have been caused by a clear user action.  For instance, a popup
that appears when a user clicks on 'Help' will still work.  A popup
that appears when the page is opened or closed will not.

--
Regards, Andy Davidson
http://www.fotoserve.com/