From:
Alan Bucher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Bucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:30:01 -0700
--- Shawn Zhang <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> On Windows, both keys are labeled "Enter", and both send the
>> identical keycode.
>
> I am not sure if this is true. Excel is a high level application
> that you can map both keys to behave the same way. That doesn't
> necessarily mean that at low level they send the same code. The
> Enter key at alphabetical side sends 13 and the Enter key on
> numeric keypad sends 108. Do a quick search at google and you will
> find key code table.

I had done a Google search, as well as MSDN. While the low-level
hardware surely sends a unique keycode, my understanding is that
Windows itself converts both to the identical "virtual" key code
("VK_RETURN") that is sent to applications. So while you can probably
distinguish them with an app that bypasses Windows and talks to the
hardware directly, you cannot distinguish them using Windows APIs.

That's my understanding, and I could be wrong. Though I also found
several message board/knowledge base posts where people ask how you
can differentiate these keys, and they're always told "you can't".

And finally, I found a mention that the Windows user interface
guidelines state that both keys should function the same way. So
while I amend my statement that you couldn't distinguish them "even
if you wanted to", I reiterate the point that distinguishing them is
a wholly non-Windows view.

Yes, deviating from the original question, but interesting nonetheless.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html