CHI-WEB Archives

ACM SIGCHI WWW Human Factors (Open Discussion)


Options: Use Forum View

Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Barry Caplan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Caplan <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 19:19:51 -0500
text/plain (39 lines)
In the software localization industry, text in graphics is pretty
universally called "bitmap text". It needs a name, because localizing such
an image is usually a lot of work.

At 12:19 AM 10/31/99 -0500, Jared M. Spool wrote:
> > I'm stuck for a term. You can have two kinds of text in a Web
> > browser: text in a GIF or JPEG image, or the other kind. Y'know,
> > it's the kind that you can copy and paste, that can appear in
> > different fonts and sizes depending on system configurations.
> >
> > What do you call that text? I'm doing a Web site review now, and I'm
> > facing the same problem I always do -- I don't have a name for the
> > non-graphic text. (And "non-graphic text" is saying what it's not,
> > not what it is.)
>In our work, we refer to it as HTML-text.  Any text generated by
>straight HTML.
>I can sympathize with the terminology problem.  We've had to invent
>all sorts of crazy terms for things we're seeing on web sites.
>  Jared M. Spool                User Interface Engineering
>  [log in to unmask]            800 Turnpike Street, Suite 101
>  (978) 975-4343                   North Andover, MA 01845
>  fax: (978) 975-5353                                  USA
>                Check out User Interface 2000
>      Boston, MA  November 8-10

Barry Caplan                                    "you can only find truth in logic
                                                if you have already found truth
[log in to unmask]                                without it" - found Trident Booksellers receipt