Susan Ramlet <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:15:49 -0600
Cindy,

This seems like a perfect opportunity to do some user research!  My
experience is that, in a standoff, we MUST ask users for input, since
they are the only ones who should tell us what's easier for them to
accomplish their goals.  Neither of you is wrong.  That's the problem.

Menus are very intuitive for navigation.  So are tabs.  So are links
on the left and links on the top.  So are buttons.  The function you
perform should be the label of the menu item, tab, or link.  It
depends on how many functions are on each screen, how many are
persistent, and so forth.  But primarily it depends on how your users
expect to accomplish the tasks.

So, I think that in this situation, my opinion (or yours, or
"Robert's") doesn't matter.  Ask the users...as formally or informally
as your budget can handle.

Susan Ramlet