CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Uhl Albert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Uhl Albert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2007 07:45:51 -0700
Sorry for the late response, I'm finally catching up on my mailing
lists.

I do have another alternative to add; that is the side-by-side listbox
view (aka, "column view") that Apple uses in the Mac OS/X. This view has
been around for a while; it was used in the NeXTStep operating system
which was later bought by Apple as the foundation for OS/X.

iTunes also uses it (aka "Browse" mode) and iPods use a single-frame
version of it for its menus. On the iPod, the main distinguishing
attribute from other types of menus is the animation from right-to-left
as the user drills down.

Rather than trying to explain it in writing, here are some links that
should do a better job...

Web mock-up of a Finder window
http://lixlpixel.org/webfinder/

iTunes "Browse" mode
http://www.atpm.com/7.02/images/itunes-browse-the-library.gif

iPod tutorial
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4bfwOZ3iZOY

NeXTSTEP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEXTSTEP

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating this as the ideal solution to the OP's
dilemma, just another design alternative for brainstorming. It's
definitely a challenging design problem!

---
Uhl Albert