From:
Alok Jain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:52:30 -0500
Dear All,

We are working on an Intranet which has over 1000 sites within
it. There are 2 kinds of searches being implemented:
1. Overall Intranet Search
2. Site specific search

Both have basic as well as advanced search functionality

The site specific search is applicable only to certain sites,
not to all. Our question is should there be two search boxes on
t he page - one for overall search (in the header) and second
site specific search somewhere else.

Our current solution is like follows:

in the header area, we have a drop down to select "All Intranet"
and "This Site". next to the search box we have advanced search
link. Here is the confusion

 If "This Site" is one of the picks in the drop down, user can
do a subsite simple search. But how does advanced search behave
in a subsite? If it points to advanced search of the subsite,
then what if the user wants to go to the global advanced search?

Currently not all sites have "This Site" pick, which is
inconsistent. The users will not know when the search will let
them search within the site.

We are looking for any best practices/data/experiences on
handling such hierarchy of searches, and having multiple
searches in same screen?

Please send the responses to me individually and I'll collate
and send to the group.

Best Regards
Alok Jain