CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 16:20:46 -0400
I agree with Tod, the error message at the top of the page is most useful.

Also, I disagree with Juan Lanus's premise that the best thing for the user
is to give them an error message immediately if they fail to fill out a required
field, preventing them from going on. The user experience will be something like:
"Fill out some stuff. Ooops error. Fix error. Fill out some more stuff. Ooops error. Fix error. Fill out some more stuff... etc." I believe the user will become rather frustrated by this, and will prefer correcting all the input needs at once. Its less interuptive.

-matt belge

On May 13, Todd wrote:
And when the error is below the fold of the page? People are likely to miss it - we've tested this pretty extensively.

On May 11, 2005, at 1:41 PM, Juan Lanus wrote:

I think that displaying only one error but at it's own location is

best for the user and also for the developer (I mean the one who pays

the developer's salary).