CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Deb Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deb Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 09:28:27 -0400
Hi Jared-

Well actually I'm still working through the "how", but I can tell you the
why:

1. $'s for UX - Currently UX does not have it's own budget or access to
dollars.  We continually compete with conflicting priorities at the product
management level.  My objective here is to extract that part from the
running of the product so that we can make decisions about spending on UX
apart from marketing and enhancement decisions.

2. Alignment with organizational objectives - Right now we have the desire
to provide "delightful" user experiences as part of our overarching goals.
But without any tactical programs in place to achieve that goal we are
simply putting bandaids on the UXas we go with individual projects.  Having
a UX product would provide overall focus for the efforts and the ability to
put a program in place to address the UX issues in a more focused and
organized way.

3. Compliance with 508 standards - None of our applications are 508
compliant at this time which is impeding our ability to respond to many
RFP's.  Again, without product management focus on this issue it gets moved
to the bottom of the list.  While that economic pressure is valid at the
product level it does not serve long term goals or growth opportunities.

I have read your thoughts on the role of UX in an organization and agree
that in the long run "Educate and Administrate" is the way to go.  But we're
about 5 years behind in our UX and we need a jumpstart to get closer to
today.

does this give you a better picture?

-deb