From:
Abbo Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Abbo Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:12:34 -0800
Web page copyright dates serve several functions, one of which is giving users a sense of how 'fresh' the content is.

My questions below relate to learning best-practices for the use of copyright dates on web site. I already checked the chi-web archives and didn't find answers to my questions.

I believe a web page copyright date should match the year is was first created, or most recently updated. This would result in web page copyright dates that vary across a web site. Further, I think the home page copyright date should match the newest web page copyright date on the site.

In terms of maintaining web page copyright dates, I don't think it's a best-practice to change the copyright date on all pages just because it's a new year. While that may be easy, by using a template component or script, it seems inconsistent with the intent of web page copyrights.

I have two questions:

1. Are there 'best practices' for determining and using web page copyright dates across a web site? If so, are there resources to find that information?

2. Are there 'best practices' for maintaining web page copyright dates, from a technical standpoint, especially for larger sites? If so, are there resources to find that information?

I will collect and summarize the results.

Thanks in advance,
Abbo
--
Abbo Peterson
Vista Point Consulting

Get free web site tips--sign up for our monthly e-newsletter

Improving web sites with a new point of view
http://www.newvistapoint.com