Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 08:48:07 -0700
Hi - I received a question asking for clarification on what an IDE for a
business user is.

Do you remember the 4th generation products that were around in the 90's?
This is the kind of product I am researching.

Traditionally an IDE is a developer environment. In an attempt to make
their product accessible to non-developer types (such as a business
analyst or other person who knows the user's domain, workflow, and task
flow), some manufacturers have produced a programming environment that
allows the business user to generate code by selecting functions or
macros. The aim is to hide the gory programming details from the user,
allowing them to make choices that generate code in the background.

I am looking for examples of products that do this sort of thing very well
- a programming environment for non-programmers.

Does this make sense?

thanks,

Kay