CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Alok Jain <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:23:18 -0500
Melissa,

There are two levels to be looked at:

1. Is this a navigation? You do need 3 (or more) pages but to
the user should it be like a navigation or just various views of
same object (object in your e.g. being the event). Let me take
my fav example:
http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=6998

When you mouse over one of the several straight fit jeans, it
gives you an option for "quick look", clicking on which just
opens a layer in the same screen, so user does not "navigate" to
another page.

Main difference is what is the 'destination' for the user is the
"Web cast" object (taking your e.g.) or individual pages. If Web
cast is treated as 'destination' then they have navigated to it
already, and then you can use links to allow user to manipulate
the view. Since these links only manipulate the view and user
does not 'navigate' to another 'destination' these links do not
have to look like "Navigation". You can consider portlets kind
look also, like gmail has just added chat in same screen (i
noticed you have gmail a/c)

2. If you do decide that these should be separate pages and
links which look like navigation must be created, then you can
use any of following:
a) horizontal (these do not have to look like tabs), could be
another design (using icons etc)
b) form based navigation, though I always find forms as
'inhuman' :-)

Hope this helps..

Cheers
Alok

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On    , Melissa Butler ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We are redesigning one of our company websites.  Every page
has a standard
> top nav and left nav and bottom nav.  Top nav takes you to
most popular
> sections (ex., books, music, movies, etc. - these aren't the
real
> categories, but they're analogies).  Left nav takes you to
topics (ex.,
> fiction > various subcategories, non-fiction > various
subcategories,
> etc.).  Bottom nav takes you to company info (ex., about us,
contact, site
> map).
>
> On some pages, we also have need of ANOTHER nav, I'd call it a
sectional
> nav, and I am really struggling with how/where to squeeze this
in.  An
> example of this is when we have a live web event and there's
one page where
> you can submit your question, another page where you can see
questions and
> answers as they are posted and read the qualifications of the
participants,
> a third page that explains how the live web event works
(format, structure,
> functionality and so on), a fourth item that's a link to our
archives of
> previous events.
>
> My boss hates tabbed interfaces.  I don't see where else
another nav could
> go.  when we put it in as a second horizontal nav, with the
standard nav, a
> header and then the additional nav, it just looked so busy and
confusing.
> Right now, it's buried off in the upper right of the page,
where most people
> miss it.
>
> I tried to search the list archives for suggestions, but I
couldn't narrow
> my search terms effectively enough to get at this particular
problem.

> Can anyone recommend resources I could read regarding this?
Anecdotal