CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
mary keitelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
mary keitelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 04:29:19 +0000
Thanks to all who responded.

I asked about information re portals -- technologies and design.  I got a
couple responses, thank you very much!

Mary

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
Jeff Lash:

>The SAP Design Guild has some good information on portals and
>design/usability:
>--> http://www.sapdesignguild.org/editions/edition3/overview_edition3.asp
>
>These three I specifically found helpful when learning about how to design
>portal-friendly site:
>--> http://www.sapdesignguild.org/editions/edition3/portal_usab.asp
>--> http://www.sapdesignguild.org/editions/edition3/interact_design.asp
>--> http://www.sapdesignguild.org/editions/edition3/info_arch.asp
>
>IBM also has a similar article...
>--> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/us-portal/
>
>Good luck,
>Jeff
>--
>http://jefflash.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
Ji Kim:

There are tons of information out there, but not too much on usability/UI
for portals.

I can recommend checkout SAP design guild.
It's kind of bias toward SAP technology, so look at it from holistic point
of view.
But there are lot of useful stuff there.

http://www.sapdesignguild.org/resources/resources.asp#portal

Also, it might be useful to define what type of portal you are designing
for.
Is it content or applications portal? There are differences......

For example, if you go to Plumtree for informatinon, it's very content
specific - not too much on application side - PlumTree is a portal platform
vendor, they don't make any specific business applications. But if you go to
Siebel, they designed their portal to be more applicatio specific or what
SAP call MiniApps.

You might also want to check on the web for "portlets and dashboards".
Plumtree has a section of "gadgets" that I thought was okay. But remember,
these were written by engineers, not designers.

If you have any more questions, send me an email. I used to be the product
manager and principal designer at one of the portal vendors, but I design
for another software company now, so I can give you lot of tips.

good luck,

Ji