CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:30:53 -0800
From:
Jim Griesemer <[log in to unmask]>
I agree with the second point here and bristle at the
first.

Specifying multiple fonts -- It is good that we can
specify multiple fonts, starting with Helvetica. I am
grateful for this "fallback" method of styling font.

Helvetica vs. Arial -- This is the second time I have
heard a preference of Graphic Designers referred to as
a "religious argument" (the first time was from an
Engineer). This strikes me, not only as disrespectful
to religion, but also disrespectful to Graphic
Designers and Graphic Design as a discipline. I
submit, if Graphics Designers state that a font is
preferable, there are good reasons for that
preference, especially if it is acknowledged to be
from the vast majority. In both instances, this
"religious argument" comment has had the connotation
of dismissing the point as irrelevant. It is not.
Graphic Designers do not choose fonts, compositions,
and colors lightly.

If the Usability *and* Engineering Communities want to
encourage Graphic Designers to join in with the ethos
of Usability (and I believe we should join),
contributions from Graphic Designers must be received
with respect for their years of experience in the
disciple, and not be dismissed as pointless. Graphic
Designers address the vagueries of continuity, visual
connotation, and general "look and feel" -- all
important issues to business, and I might add, the
users.  These may be hard to quantify, but IMHO, the
require the same consideration as functionality.

With all due respect, Jim Griesemer