CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Dey Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:59:39 +1000
Older versions of some screen readers will read out the file name if the alt
attribute is expressed as alt="" Because of the cost of this software, older
versions are still apparently common. The last I checked into this, the best
approach was to include a blank space between the quotation marks which will
still not be read in newer versions of screen readers, and will trick the
older ones into keeping quiet. e.g. alt=" "

Cheers,
Dey