CSTA-MEMBERS Archives

CSTA Members

CSTA-MEMBERS@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Jake Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CSTA Members <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2017 00:37:34 -0400
I sent Tom an email directly, but decided to post my reply here as well. I apologise for not shortening the links.

We have combined a number of resources which we use. It definitely does not fully address everything you want, but it has worked well with our Year 10 students (grade 9).

You can see an overview of what we do on this Google doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v9sul2ve-91o3Ev-ULrMHTeagu1XhSizVG56S0rm76U/edit?usp=sharing). The dates listed are pretty ambitious and we did not necessarily keep to them this year. If you want to see the actual course you can go the page on our website (https://sites.google.com/a/cis.edu.hk/ciscs/y10) but it might be more difficult to follow (it is in reverse chronological order so scroll to the bottom and work your way up).

The backbone of the teaching happens using something called Computer Science Circles (https://cscircles.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/) from the University of Waterloo. It is a nice way for students to learn the material. One improvement we need to make is to add some review materials for each topic (not sure when we will have time to complete that).

Most of the labs we are using come from EngageCSEdu (https://www.engage-csedu.org/). I do believe we have made some minor change from the overview document. If you decide you want to look at it in more detail, I can revise the overview document.

The CSTA membership listserv is for discussion, educator-to-educator support, and community building.
CSTA policy is not to promote programs, products, jobs, or services, but teachers are encouraged to share their experiences with such resources.

When responding to a post, please delete any previous posts in your message before sending and include only the specific text to which you are responding. This is important list etiquette as it makes the digest form much easier to read.

Thank you.

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
https://LISTSERV.ACM.ORG/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?SUBED1=CSTA-MEMBERS&A=1