The Dynamic and Distributed Information Systems Group at the University of Zurich (Switzerland) is inviting applications for a
Fully Funded PhD Position
With a keen interest at least one of the following areas:
Multi-modal Data Analysis and Integration, Multimedia Retrieval, Semantic Web, Explainable AI and Data Mining
The PhD student will be supervised by Prof. Abraham Bernstein. The focus of the research activities will be in the broad area of multi-modal data management and analysis and its representation in Knowledge-Graphs and will be linked to research collaborations across several disciplines. The multi-modal data related to this work may be bio-medical, behavioural, or auto-biographical, among others.
- a team of young and highly motivated colleagues who are passionate about research
- a work environment that is well equipped with the newest hardware and software technology
- a competitive salary of around 55,000 Euros (~60,000 CHF) per year
- strong support for your personal development and career planning
- an attractive work environment both within the research group and beyond: the University of Zurich is one of Switzerland's leading universities in the middle of a vibrant, cosmopolitan city that regularly ranks as one of the cities with the highest quality of life in the world
- a highly successful PhD program with graduates at top rated institutions world-wide
- a master's degree in informatics, computer science, information systems (or an equivalent university study)
- strong analytical/mathematical skills
- expertise in Multimedia, Database Systems, Semantic Web / Linked Data, or HCI is helpful. (note: only expertise in one of the fields is necessary; multiple areas are desirable)
- good programming skills in several languages
- an interest in applying computer science research to real-world problems
- excellent command of English; German is a plus but not required
If you fit the profile, are a good team player, like challenging tasks, and are passionate about research then we would love to hear from you. To apply for the above position, please send us a detailed curriculum vitae, all grade transcripts, selected publications (if available), a list of at least three references, and your BSc/MSc theses as PDF via https://www.ifi.uzh.ch/en/ddis/jobs/Apply-for-jobs.html.
Additionally, applicants may arrange for three letters of recommendation to be sent to Prof. Bernstein directly, however, this is not required. All applications received until May the 15th, 2021 will be considered for the positions. Applications received afterwards will be considered until the position is filled.
The University of Zurich is committed to enhancing the number of women in scientific positions and, therefore, particularly invites women to apply. Women who are as qualified for the position in question as male applicants will be given priority.
[log in to unmask]
If you don't already have a password for the LISTSERV.ACM.ORG server, we recommend
that you create one now. A LISTSERV password is linked to your email
address and can be used to access the web interface and all the lists to
which you are subscribed on the LISTSERV.ACM.ORG server.
To create a password, visit:
Once you have created a password, you can log in and view or change your
subscription settings at: