MM-INTEREST Archives

ACM SIGMM Interest List

MM-INTEREST@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:52:39 -0400
Apologies for cross listing!

---

ACM CMM 2010  The First ACM International Workshop on Connected Multimedia
In conjunction with ACM MM 2010: ACM International Conference on
Multimedia, October, 2010, Florence, Italy (http://www.acmmm10.org/)
October 29, 2010, Florence, Italy
http://www.fortune.binghamton.edu/CMM2010/ with paper submission link:
http://edas.info/N9049

WORKSHOP THEME

Connected Multimedia --- Further Exploiting Social and Cultural
Constraints for Distributed Multimedia Computing

THE WORKSHOP

Following the successful very first workshop on the newly emerged theme of
connected multimedia held in Hangzhou, China, in October of 2009 under the
sponsorship of US NSF, and with numerous supports from the multimedia and
social science research communities, we would like to organize the first
ACM Workshop on Connected Multimedia this year in conjunction with ACM MM
2010 in Florence, Italy. The theme of the workshop is connected multimedia
--- further exploiting social and cultural constraints for distributed
multimedia computing. This workshop is intended to bring together
researchers, engineers, and practitioners to exchange their ideas in this
area and to advance and disseminate the most recent research results on
this theme.

By connected multimedia, we mean the study of the social and technical
interactions among users, multimedia data, and devices across cultures and
the explicit exploitation of cultural differences. Consequently, connected
multimedia involves the three elements  the users, the multimedia data,
and the devices  with two perspectives  the social focus and the
cultural focus. In short, connected multimedia is about multimedia content
and connection across community and cultural boundaries. In comparison
with those existing research areas including social media as its
super-area and human centered computing, we here emphasize that connected
multimedia pays more attention to the cultural difference. The definition
of the social side is broader than just national cultures; it possibly
includes cultures of groups, disciplines, organizations, communities,
ethnicities, religions, and nations. This emphasis distinguishes connected
multimedia from all other existing areas, which may claim to include some
of these aspects, among many others.

Therefore, in connected multimedia, we attempt to address the same media
content and connection problem with two perspectives. The first is to
incorporate and exploit the cultural constraints into the consideration.
The second is to incorporate and exploit the social constraints into the
consideration.

Examples of the connected multimedia problems include but are not limited to:
	Internet multimedia search
	Multimodal and networked surveillance
	Sensor data understanding and mining
	Human behavior understanding under specific cultural constraints
	Social network community discovery and tracking
	Social relationship identifications in imagery/video data
	Multimedia collaborative filtering
	Question answering under a specific culture
	Social games
	Topic and/or event discovery in large scale multimedia data
	Trajectory mining
	Activity recognition and tracking

WORKSHOP CO-CHAIRS:

Zhongfei (Mark) Zhang
Computer Science Department
Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science
SUNY Binghamton
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000
USA

Zhengyou Zhang
Microsoft Research
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
USA

Ramesh Jain
Department of Computer Science
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-3425
USA

Yueting Zhuang
College of Computer Science
Zhejiang University,
Hangzhou, 310027 P.R. China

WORKSHOP FORMAT
Given the fact that connected multimedia is a newly emerged area,, we
shall hold the workshop as a combination of invitations and call for
participations workshop. We shall invite several well-known researchers
and practitioners who have done pioneering work on the theme of connected
multimedia to participate the workshop. At the same time, we shall
announce the call for participation to all the parties who are interested
in this theme to submit papers. We shall dedicate the workshop to
brainstorming discussions to further shape the research and application
directions of connected multimedia, in addition to two keynote speeches.
The anticipated attendees include those listed in the tentative PC members
as well as all those who have the interested in this theme.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE MEMBERS (incomplete)

Chabane Djeraba, University of Lille, France
Wen Gao, Peking University, China
William Grosky, University of Michigan-Dearborn, USA
Alan Hanjalic, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
Alex Hauptmann, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
Xian-Sheng Hua, Microsoft Research Asia, China
Alex Jaimes, Telefonica, Spain
Toshi Kato, Chuo University, Japan
Michael Lew, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Wanqing Li, University of Wollongong, Australia
Mark Liao, Academia Sinica, Taiwan
Alex Loui, Kodak Research, USA
Jiebo Luo, Kodak Research, USA
Nicu Sebe, University of Trento, Italy
Alan Smeaton, Dublin City University, Ireland
Qi Tian, University of Texas at San Antonio, USA
Vincent Tseng, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan
Qing Wang, Northwestern Polytechnic University, China
Changsheng Xu, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
Rong Yan, Facebook, USA

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS

TBD

SUBMISSION, REVIEW, AND BEST PAPER AWARD

Submission format must follow the standard ACM conference proceedings
paper style. Each submission paper must not exceed 6 pages limit. Each
paper shall receive at least three double-blind reviews. We will announce
the best paper awards from all the submitted papers. Online submissions
must be followed at http://edas.info/N9049

IMPORTANT DATES

6/10/2010: Deadline for submission papers
7/10/2010: Notifications for acceptance of the submissions
7/15/2010: Camera-ready paper submissions
8/31/2010: Workshop program ready
10/29/2010: Workshop