MM-INTEREST Archives

ACM SIGMM Interest List

MM-INTEREST@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
ACM SIGMM Interest List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 12:01:54 +0200
From:
Antoine Doucet <[log in to unmask]>
*Article separation in historical newspapers*

Interested in joining a young group the crossroad between document
analysis and NLP, located in a historical town by the Atlantic Ocean?
And walk 10 minutes from the lab to the beach. We have open positions in
the context of 2 ongoing Horizon 2020 projects: Embeddia and NewsEye as
well as subsequent projects. In 2020-2021, we have among others
published long papers in *CORE A* and A* conferences ACL, JCDL, ICDAR,
CoNLL, DAS COLING, ICADL.. We coordinate the H2020 NewsEye project,
focused on improving access to large European collections of historical
newspapers. We developed the *NewsEye platform* for navigating through
such collections, a platform it will build upon in future years. Full
details on the NewsEye project are available on its website -
http://newseye.eu/ <http://newseye.eu/>

*Location*: L3i laboratory, La Rochelle, France

*Duration*: 2 years (1+1), with possible further extension

*Net salary range*: 2100€-2300 € monthly

*Context*: H2020 NewsEye project and regional project Anna

features, layout analysis, statistical NLP, language-independent
approaches, deep/machine learning.*

Applications are invited for a postdoctoral researcher position on the
separation of articles from digitized newspapers, in particular
historical newspapers. This task is a critical first step for any use of
digitized newspapers, which are initially only split per “page image” files.

Your goal will be to study the state of the art and devise methods
combining visual and textual features so as improve the performance of
article separation on a large scale. In particular, we seek for methods
that function with limited training data and for several languages. NLP
and image analysis experience are equally valued. Experience of both is
ideal.

Who we search for:

-PhD in document analysis, NLP, IR, or ML, ideally followed by
postdoctoral experience

-proven record of high-level publications in one or more of those fields

-fluency in written and spoken English (French language skills are not
relevant)

Applications including a CV and a one-page research statement discussing
how the candidate's background fits requirements and topic are to be
sent to by email to [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, strictly with the subject
"NewsEye/ANNA postdoc application".

*Application deadline: 13 October 2021.*

*PDF version of this call*
<https://l3i.univ-larochelle.fr/spip.php?action=acceder_document&arg=1662&cle=a52b83c3c660824278f7ffe92ee4bb5c47ac9fde&file=pdf%2Fpostdoc-articleseparation_cle0614a1.pdf>
**

If you don't already have a password for the LISTSERV.ACM.ORG server, we recommend
that you create one now. A LISTSERV password is linked to your email
address and can be used to access the web interface and all the lists to
which you are subscribed on the LISTSERV.ACM.ORG server.

To create a password, visit:

https://LISTSERV.ACM.ORG/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?GETPW1

Once you have created a password, you can log in and view or change your
subscription settings at:

https://LISTSERV.ACM.ORG/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?SUBED1=MM-INTEREST