MM-INTEREST Archives

ACM SIGMM Interest List

MM-INTEREST@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
"Lee, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee, Mark
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2021 03:26:02 +0000

CALL FOR PROPOSALS: GUIDED VIRTUAL ADVENTURES

iLRN 2021: 7th International Conference of the Immersive Learning Research Network

May 17 to June 10, 2021, on iLRN Virtual Campus, powered by Virbela
... and across the Metaverse!

Technically co-sponsored by the IEEE Education Society,
with proceedings to be submitted for inclusion in IEEE Xplore(r)

Conference theme: "TRANSCEND: Accelerating Learner Engagement in XR across Time, Place, and Imagination"

https://immersivelrn.org/ilrn2021/author-present/guided-virtual-adventures/

Guided Virtual Adventures are small-group guided tours of 50 minutes in duration to various social and collaborative VR/AR/MR (XR) or other immersive environments and platforms. Tour destinations may be:

- a third-party XR/immersive platform with which the tour guide is familiar (e.g., Altspace, Mozilla Hubs, Facebook Horizons, Vive Sync, Somnium Space, OrbusVR, Second Life, Minecraft, World of Warcraft);

- a specific virtual environment that the tour guide, their institution/organization, or someone else has developed within a third-party platform;

- a platform that the tour guide or their institution/organization has developed, and/or specific environments within that platform.

The tour guide leads participants into the virtual spaces, co-discovering and video-documenting the learning potential and engagements found there for sharing with the wider iLRN community.

##### Selection Criteria and Requirements #####

- Preference will be given to proposals that involve environments/platforms that are freely and openly accessible. iLRN also reserves the right to place limits on the number of tours of platforms/environments of a certain type or that address a particular target audience/application vertical.

- Where possible, it is strongly recommended that multiple offerings of the tour are made available so as to cater for potential people in different time zones.

- Guided Virtual Adventures are expected to produce, in the course of conducting the adventure, a video recording of the immersive/XR experience through which educators and others in the iLRN community might gain a sense of what the XR space is and how it might be useful for learning, teaching, and/or assessment.

*** NOTE: Guided Virtual Adventures are intended to be social activities. As such, platforms and environments to be toured must support interaction among multiple users, and participants must be afforded such opportunities for interaction. Product demos or workshops/tutorials in which participants either passively "sit and watch" or undertake individual activities in isolation of one another are not suitable for the Guided Virtual Adventures program. ***

##### Fees/Charges #####

Nonprofit organizations and educational institutions may offer their Guided Virtual Adventures, if approved, at no cost to them. Companies wishing to offer Guided Virtual Adventure tours involving their commercial products and services may submit proposals for consideration, but may be asked to contribute a modest fee commensurate with the size of their companies that will help support iLRN's nonprofit mission.

Participants in Guided Virtual Adventure tours will not be charged any fees, but in order to participate must give their consent to having their video and audio activity during the tour recorded.

##### Submitting a Proposal #####

Please use this form to propose an iLRN Guided Virtual Adventure: https://forms.gle/6fjkStbbwZXespE48

##### Timelines #####

Proposals for Guided Virtual Adventures may be submitted at any time, and are reviewed, accepted, and scheduled on a rolling basis throughout the calendar year. However, prospective tour guides specifically looking to offer their Adventures during the iLRN 2021 conference should endeavor to submit their proposals as soon as possible (ideally no later than May 1st) as the number of slots available is limited. Proposals received after all of the available slots have been filled will be considered for offering on dates/times before or after the conference.

Prospective Guided Virtual Adventure tour guides can generally expect to be contacted within 2 weeks after submitting their proposals.

##### Contact #####

Inquiries regarding Guided Virtual Adventures may be directed to [log in to unmask] .

More general inquiries about iLRN 2021 may be sent to [log in to unmask] .

(Sent to [log in to unmask])

|   ALBURY-WODONGA   |   BATHURST   |   BRISBANE   |   CANBERRA   |   DUBBO   |   GOULBURN   |   MELBOURNE   |   ORANGE   |   PORT MACQUARIE   |   SYDNEY   |   WAGGA WAGGA   |

LEGAL NOTICE
This email (and any attachment) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery. Email should be checked for viruses and defects before opening. Charles Sturt University does not accept liability for viruses or any consequence which arise as a result of this email transmission. Email communications with Charles Sturt University may be subject to automated email filtering, which could result in the delay or deletion of a legitimate email before it is read at Charles Sturt University. The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Charles Sturt University.
Charles Sturt University in Australia The Grange Chancellery, Panorama Avenue, Bathurst NSW Australia 2795 (ABN: 83 878 708 551; CRICOS Provider Number: 00005F (National)). TEQSA Provider Number: PV12018
Consider the environment before printing this email.

If you don't already have a password for the LISTSERV.ACM.ORG server, we recommend
that you create one now. A LISTSERV password is linked to your email
address and can be used to access the web interface and all the lists to
which you are subscribed on the LISTSERV.ACM.ORG server.

To create a password, visit:

https://LISTSERV.ACM.ORG/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?GETPW1

Once you have created a password, you can log in and view or change your
subscription settings at:

https://LISTSERV.ACM.ORG/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?SUBED1=MM-INTEREST