PROJECT Structural and Algorithmic Aspects of Preference-based Problems in Social Choice
STARTING DATE: Negotiable
LOCATION: Vienna, Austria
INSTITUTION: Algorithms and complexity group at the Faculty of Informatics, Technische Universität Wien (Vienna University of Technology)
FUNDING: The PhD candidates receive an employment contract for the initial period of 3 years, thus study fees do not apply. Salary range starts at 22.000 net/year EUR for 30h/week.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 31, 2020
We invite applications for PhD position(s) (3 years with the possibility of extension), working with Jiehua Chen in the Algorithms and Complexity Group at the Vienna University of Technology (Technische Universität Wien – TU Wien), Vienna, Austria.
The PhD position(s) is available for the WWTF research project (Vienna Science and Technology Fund) titled Structural and Algorithmic Aspects of Preference-based Problems in Social Choice: https://www.wwtf.at/programmes/vienna_research_groups/VRG18-012/index.php?lang=EN
The research topics include voting, structured preferences, stable matching (matchings under preferences) with a focus on parameterized and approximation algorithm design.
Applicants with a solid background in areas such as algorithm design (including BUT NOT LIMITED to parameterized algorithms and approximation algorithms), computational complexity, and/or discrete mathematics are welcome to apply.
-The PhD position(s) entails an employment contract.
-The position(s) is available immediately and the starting date is quite flexible
- A research and study environment that is friendly and gender-balanced
- TU Wien is a great place for professional growth (e.g., the Austrian Science Fund and other funding agencies offer multiple funding opportunities for young researchers to advance their independent scientific careers)
- Vienna, the city, features a vibrant and excellence-driven research landscape, with several leading research institutes (e.g., University of Vienna, IST, AIT, SBA) and universities continuously establishing collaborations in various fields
- Vienna has been consistently ranked by Mercer over the last years the best city for quality of life worldwide.
Please send your application, including
- your academic CV,
- a motivation letter, including an explanation of your research interests,
- your Master's thesis and
- a list of subjects studied, giving sufficient details and grades/marks obtained
directly to Jiehua Chen: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
(If possible all in a single PDF file)
DEADLINE: 31. July 2020
For informal inquiries you can also contact via the above email address.
Faculty of Informatics: https://informatics.tuwien.ac.at/
Research group website: https://www.ac.tuwien.ac.at/
Outreach: www.vcla.at <http://www.vcla.at>