SEWORLD Archives

SEWORLD

SEWORLD@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Subject: Tenure-track assistant professor positions at Utrecht University
From: SEWORLD Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Oct 2020 04:37:19 -0000

# Assistant Professors in Information and Computing Sciences (tenure Track, 0.8 - 1.0 FTE)

We are currently hiring several tenure-track assistant professors --
and are particularly interested in candidates with Software
Engineering expertise. These positions become fully tenured after five
years. Benefits include plenty of paid vacation days, a solid pension
scheme, (partially) paid parental leave, the possibility to work
part-time, and many other perks.

## Job description

Due to our successful educational programmes and our ambitions in
research, the Department of Information and Computing Sciences is
expanding. Therefore we are actively searching for four or more
motivated and committed Assistant Professors in Information and
Computing Sciences. Please note that the levels of the positions
offered will vary, depending on experience and expertise.

You have a background in Computing and Information Sciences,
preferably in the areas of Software engineering, Artificial
Intelligence, Data Science or Persuasive Technologies & Serious
Gaming.

You possess a proven commitment and talent for research. As
teaching is also an essential part of the work, we are searching
for people with a demonstrable motivation to teach and a flexible
attitude. The department provides a dynamic work environment. Our
approach is characterized by a connected, open and can-do spirit
that stimulates personal initiative and curiosity. You are a team
player who is encouraged to take ownership and create value while
sharing your knowledge both internally and across the
wider (global) community. Every day we aim to live up to this
mission, because we believe it is the only way to make the
breakthroughs that will help solve the challenges facing the
world.

If you are excited to actively participate and collaborate in
shaping the department, you are invited to apply.

## Qualifications

We are looking for new colleagues to complement our team
academically as well as on a perso
 nal level and who largely meets
the following qualifications:

* a PhD in Computer Science, Information Science or another relevant discipline;
* publications with impact, in international conferences and journals;
* experience with or good prospects for acquiring external research funds;
* a vision on future research directions in your own area of expertise;
* experience with or readiness to supervise PhD projects;
* experience with and enthusiasm for teaching and student supervision;
* the ability to teach in departmental BSc and MSc programmes;
* experience with or the willingness to use innovative teaching methods and (e-learning) technologies;
* vision on teaching and your own contribution to teaching;
* the ability to speak and write English fluently.

## Offer

* an appointment at the level of Assistant Professor, initially for a
  period of 5 years. The position will be subject to a mid-term
 valuation after approximately 2.5 years and an end-term
  evaluation. Following a positive evaluation the position will become
  permanent after 5 years;
* a gross salary – depending on previous qualifications and
  experience - ranges between €3,353 and €5,826 (scale 10-12 according
  to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (cao)) per
  month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a
  holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year;
* a pension scheme, collective insurance schemes, partially paid
  parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the
  Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities external;
* special perks include the assistance of a new PhD candidate funded
  by the Department in order to start up your research, the
  possibility to develop towards acquiring a Basic Teaching
  Qualification, supported with educational development programmes,
  offered by the University, and the possibility to travel to
  conferences.

In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the cao for
Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own
arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional
development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the
opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the
Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we
like to encourage you to continue to grow. For international employees
the university offers assistance with finding housing, child care and
schools, as well as a partner programme and a Dutch language course.

More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here:

  https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university

Utrecht is an attractive city located in the Netherlands, one of the
world’s most open and connected countries. Utrecht University reflects
this philosophy by offering a flexible work/life balance that
prioritizes your well-being within an understanding and supportive,
family friendly environment.

## About the organization

The Department of Information and Computing Sciences is nationally and
internationally renowned for its fundamental and applied research in
computer science and information science. In our constantly changing
(digital) society, the department of Information and Computing
Sciences is constantly looking for new, realistic ways to push the
boundaries of both science and social application. We contribute to
innovative information technologies through the development and
application of new concepts, theories, algorithms, and software
methods. Relevant areas of interdisciplinary research include Game
Research, Foundations of Complex Systems, Applied Data Science and
Artificial Intelligence.

The Department has, among others, close collaborations with the
University Medical Center, the Departments of Physics and Mathematics,
and the Faculties of Humanities and Geosciences. The Department offers
Bachelor's programmes in Computer Science and Information Science, and
six English language Research Master's programmes in Artificial
Intelligence, Business Informatics, Computing Science, Human-Computer
Interaction, Game and Media Technology, and Applied Data Science. High
enrolment figures and good student ratings make the education very
successful. The Department currently comprises 17 Chairs and 109 other
scientific staff, including Postdocs and PhD candidates.

At the Faculty of Science there are 6 departments to
make a fundamental connection with: Biology, Chemistry, Information
and Computing Sciences, Mathematics, Pharmaceutical Sciences and
Physics. Each of these is made up of distinct institutes which work
together to focus on answering some of humanity’s most pressing
problems. More fundamental still are the individual research groups –
the building blocks of our ambitious scientific projects.

Utrecht University is a friendly and ambitious university at the heart
of an ancient city. We love to welcome new scientists to our city – a
thriving cultural hub that is consistently rated as one of the world’s
happiest cities. We are renowned for our innovative interdisciplinary
research and our emphasis on inspirational research and excellent
education. We are equally well-known for our familiar atmosphere and
the can-do attitude of our people. This fundamental connection
attracts Researchers, Professors and PhD candidates from all over the
globe, making both the university and the Faculty of Science a vibrant
international and wonderfully diverse community.

## Additional information

Do you have any questions that you would like an answer to first? No
problem. Please contact Professor Marc van Kreveld
(Research Director) via [log in to unmask]

Do you have a question about the application procedure? Then please
send an email to [log in to unmask]

Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome
employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives and we
attach great importance to diversity and gender balance. Applicants
are encouraged to mention any personal circumstances that need to be
taken into account, for example parental leave or military service.

If you have the expertise and the experience to excel in this role,
apply using the following link:

  https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/jobs/assistant-professors-in-information-and-computing-sciences-tenure-track-08-10-fte

Please enclose:

* your letter of motivation;
* your curriculum vitae;
* your research and teaching statements;
* the names, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least two references.

Please also specify which area(s) (Software engineering, Artificial
Intelligence, Data Science or Persuasive Technologies & Serious
Gaming) you are interested in.

If you prefer a part-time appointment, you are also invited to apply,
stating the desired part-time ratio.

If this specific opportunity is not for you, but you know someone who
may be interested, please forward the link to them.

Please note: Due to the current situation regarding the Corona virus
(COVID-19) the process of selection and interviews is subject to
change. Initial interviews will most likely be conducted online.

The application deadline is 1 November 2020.

To contribute to SEWORLD, send your submission to
mailto:[log in to unmask]

http://sigsoft.org/resources/seworld.html provides more
information on SEWORLD as well as links to a complete
archive of messages posted to the list.