SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM Archives

SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM

SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender: SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 13:31:02 +0000
From: "Walker, Ellen L." <[log in to unmask]>
As am I.

On Aug 16, 2016, at 6:29 PM, Janet Davis <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Me too.

--
Janet Davis
Computer Science

On August 16, 2016 at 2:05:09 PM PDT, Lillian (Boots) Cassel <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
I am especially interested in the third suggestion -- Communicating about CS in the liberal arts.

Boots

L N Cassel, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
Department of Computing Sciences
Villanova University
800 Lancaster Avenue
Villanova  PA  19085-1699
http://csc.villanova.edu/~cassel

610 519 7341

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 8:07 AM, Douglas Baldwin <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Amanda Holland-Minkley <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
Since it sounds like one productive next step would be to brainstorm what some of the BoFs or sub-areas of interest would be, I thought I'd share the ones that I can think of that have come out of the conversations so far and Grant's survey:

* Faculty hiring...

* Enrollment pressures...

* Communicating about CS in the liberal arts...

* Curricular structures...

* Curricular inclusion of soft skills and interdisciplinary connections...

If you could use another person to help put together the special session proposal or coordinate it, I'm happy to help out. I'm also currently most personally engaged in the last of the four possible topics I listed above so if it seems like there is enough interest in the soft skills/interdisciplinary content piece for a BoF I'd be happy to put together a proposal and coordinate that.

These all sound like good possibilities for BoFs. I'll guess that connecting yourself with a specific one in public has just earned you the job of planning it, so if you'd like to start thinking about organizing one on soft skills and interdisciplinarity, that would be great. Other folks might, of course, volunteer to help, and you can certainly recruit helpers if you want. BoF proposals are due Oct. 21, so there's still lots of time for brainstorming.

Meanwhile, why don't I work up a special session proposal. I'll be on vacation next week, but I think I can circulate a draft proposal early the week after (i.e., a couple of days before they're due). I'm certainly imagining having help moderating discussions and presenting parts of the report, but exactly who the best people to do that would be might become clearer as I write the proposal. I might take you up on your offer, Amanda, and the draft might well circulate with questions of the form "would so-and-so be willing to help with such-and-such" attached.

Thanks for the ideas.

Ellen Walker
Associate Dean
Professor of Computer Science