SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM Archives

SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM

SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Cary Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cary Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2016 15:35:59 +0000
I think it would be useful to have the non-CS-but-computing-related majors included.  That would allow analysis that limited to CS-only, but it could also help us understand how a CS program is affected by the presence of other programs.  For example, the intro sequence faces additional constraints if it is shared across programs with different goals.  There can also be consequences if there are significant differences among the population of students drawn to the different programs.

So perhaps there should be under the "additional thoughts and comments" an explicit question about what other obligations or circumstances affect the structure of the program.  (For example, our college has students who transfer out as part of a 3-2 engineering program, and some of those non-computing engineering programs have very specific constraints.  And at some schools the remedial needs in math and/or writing are a huge factor.)

	Cary

> On Mar 18, 2016, at 5:39 PM, Joel Adams <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> We have a similar situation, Valerie.
>
> An alternative to submitting the survey multiple times might be to provide a ‘matrix’ with a column for each major or minor option and the attributes of interest in the row dimension.  That way, a given college could submit the survey once and avoid re-entering the common info.
>
> I’m not sure about the implications of either approach for tabulating the survey’s results...
>
> There are also CS departments that offer non-CS-but-computing-related degrees (IS, IT, etc.) for which the ACM has curriculum recommendations.  Maybe people want to limit this to CS programs?
>
> -Joel.

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://listserv.acm.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?SUBED1=SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM&A=1