SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM Archives

SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM

SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Darakhshan Mir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2018 20:41:36 -0400
Dear All,
I am writing to find out if any of your institutions use inclusive teaching
practices as criteria to evaluate candidates for tenure or promotion. If
so, are these departmental or institutional criteria?

At my institution (Bucknell University - a liberal arts institution with an
engineering college), retention, tenure, and promotion criteria are laid
out broadly by the University, and then detailed by the department. The
University Review Committee evaluates candidates' materials in reference to
a document crafted by the department (the so-called Departmental Review
Criteria document).

My colleagues and I are brainstorming on criteria we could suggest for
inclusion in our Departmental Review Criteria document, that would require
candidates to reflect on the use of inclusive teaching/mentoring practices
inside and outside the classroom. We are particularly interested in
diversity/inclusion criteria specific to CS and its diversity challenges,
so if you have departmental versions of these, I'd be very interested in
them!

If you have thoughts on this or resources to share, I would very much
appreciate it. If you don't want to share any information with the entire
list, I'd appreciate if you respond to only me, and I will respect your
wishes to keep any information confidential.

Thank you for your time,
Darakhshan

--
Darakhshan J. Mir