SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM Archives

SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM

SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Joel Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joel Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2016 15:39:49 -0400
Also in the FWIW category: Calvin offers a 4-year BSE (Bachelor of Science in Engineering):

  http://www.calvin.edu/academic/engineering/

Itís a general engineering degree with concentrations in Chemical, Civil/Environmental, Electrical/Computer, and Mechanical Engineering. Students in the program take the same set of courses their first two years and then take specialty courses for their concentrations their final two years.

Cheers,

-Joel Adams.

On Mar 17, 2016, at 3:13 PM, Scot Drysdale <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> For what it is worth, Dartmouth offers a Bachelor of Arts major in Engineering.  To get a B.E. normally takes an additional year.
>
> Scot Drysdale
>
>> On Mar 17, 2016, at 9:04 AM, Douglas Baldwin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> There was some really good discussion about what "liberal arts" means that now seems to have died down, so I'll try to summarize:
>>
>> One key idea was that a liberal arts education has broad goals, i.e., it's for a career but also for membership in community, civic life, etc. Another take on breadth, from the perspective of curricula or student experiences, is that a liberal arts program provides room for second majors, minors, and interdisciplinary interests. Within computing programs, breadth is reflected in early exposure to the variety of computing topics and cross-disciplinary connections. What makes something a "liberal arts" program is that it's goals reflect such desires for breadth; "liberal arts" is *not* defined by size of institution or where a program is housed within an institution. All in all, this definition is very close to the one offered in the committee goals and focus statement.
>>
>> So it looks to me like we're pretty comfortable with the idea that the sorts of computing programs we'll focus on are ones that have a central goal of broad education. On lifelong timescales, this means preparing students for their community/civic roles and personal well-being as well as for careers; on course-of-study timescales, this means breadth of computing and its applications, and opportunities for study outside of computing per se. Is this indeed a notion of "liberal arts" that we're willing to use going forward?
>>
>> (PS. I also thought it was neat how many of the foregoing liberal arts values appeared in Villanova's College of Engineering mission statement Boots quoted. I sometimes have this heretical idea that there really could be such a thing as a liberal arts engineering program if someone wanted it.)
>>
>> To unsubscribe from the SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM list, click the following link:
>> http://listserv.acm.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?SUBED1=SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM&A=1
>>

> To unsubscribe from the SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM list, click the following link:
> http://listserv.acm.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?SUBED1=SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM&A=1

Joel C. Adams, PhD
Chair, Dept of Computer Science
Calvin College