SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM Archives

SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM

SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
"Braught, Grant" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Braught, Grant
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2016 15:34:54 +0000
Hi Everyone,

Thank you to everyone that sent along helpful feedback on the survey draft that I circulated a few weeks back.  I have finally incorporated all of the feedback that I received and have put the survey together with Google Forms.

It became very clear, very quickly that we have a wide diversity of programs organized in all sorts of creative and exciting ways.  Which is great, unless you are trying to create a survey!  So, I ask that though some questions may not fit your program exactly, please give the best answer that you can to each question, and then provide any clarifying comments in the area provided at the end of each section.  That will hopefully give us both some reasonably valid quantitative results for big-picture perspective at as well as more specifics that we can drill down into.

In addition, I was unable to come up with any clever way to easily capture information about different majors/degree programs within a school. So I ask that the survey be completed once for each computing major (CS, IS, IT, SWE, etc) offered at your institution. Also, if a major offers different degree options (BS vs BA) with different requirements, please complete the survey once for each unique major/degree combination. I apologize for this imperfect and labor intensive solution, but hope that it will provide us with more complete information about the variety of majors/programs that we offer.

Finally, the survey is setup so that everyone can see the results.

After all of that, here’s the link to the survey: Computing Majors in the Liberal Arts.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1iFBAb8vK5bRIaHoA1FDnL8ejiExKTeZpnrcrQ0j6lxU/viewform?c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link

Best,
Grant

On Apr 14, 2016, at 10:40 AM, Douglas Baldwin <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Hello again, SIGCSE liberal arts committee. We've had some time now to get used to being a SIGCSE committee, and some ideas have gotten tossed around and are maybe being worked on. Hopefully we'll at some point (not necessarily now, I realize it's still early) hear more about things like the surveys that a couple of you talked about. Meanwhile, I'd also like us to think a bit about what our overarching goal(s) might be.

A good starting point for goals might be the fact that SIGCSE committees aren't permanent bodies, so we should think about what we're going to leave for CS educators when we're done. Our committee proposal promised a report, and suggested maybe some sort of foundation on which a permanent body could be established. But now that we're an actual committee and not just a proposal, we can think about these things in more detail. So what are your thoughts on....

- If/when we write a report, what should it be? A state of CS education in the liberal arts ca 2016 survey? A roadmap for future CS education in the liberal arts? Both? Something else?

- Is there a need for a permanent organization of liberal arts CS educators? If so, do we want to lay the groundwork for such a thing?

- What else should this committee's "product" include?

Thanks for your work on this group, and happy springtime (which is for the umpteenth time this year trying to get going here in northwestern New York).

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://listserv.acm.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?SUBED1=SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM&A=1