Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:22:54 -0500
multipart/alternative; boundary="=_alternative 00547F2085257566_="
Call for Nominations: ACM SIGMETRICS Rising Star Research Award
The 2009 ACM SIGMETRICS Rising Star Research Award will be presented
at the SIGMETRICS/Performance 2009 conference, June 15-19, 2009, in
Seattle, Washington, USA. The award is given annually to recognize
a rising star in our community who demonstrates outstanding potential
for research in the field of computer and communication performance.
The selection will be based on the impact of the candidate's work in
the field in creating promising new ideas, paradigms and tools related
to the performance analysis of computer and communication systems,
which may be analytical or empirical in nature. Depth and impact will
be valued over breadth of contribution for this award.
The award includes a plaque and a $1000 honorarium or expenses for
travel to the conference where the award is presented. Past winners:
Prof. Devavrat Shah (2008).
The ACM SIGMETRICS Rising Star Research Award recipient will be selected
by a committee consisting of five individuals appointed by the SIGMETRICS
Executive Committee. The membership of the Awards Committee for 2009 is:
Mark Squillante (Chair), Mor Harchol-Balter, Peter Key, Dan Rubenstein,
and Devavrat Shah.
The nomination must include:
1. A two-page statement summarizing the candidate's research
2. A description of the significance of the work and justification of the
nomination (2 pages maximum).
3. A curriculum vitae of the nominee, including publications.
4. Three endorsement letters from researchers in the field supporting the
nomination. At least one of the three endorsers must be an ACM SIGMETRICS
5. Copies of at least one and not more than three of the most significant
papers or other documents that form the basis of the nomination.
6. A concise statement (one sentence) of the nominee's achievements to be
inscribed on the award plaque.
Rules for Nomination:
1. The nominator must provide one of the reference letters.
2. The nominee must be either
a. 35 years old or younger, or
b. within 7 years of having attained their PhD.
3. The nominee cannot be any of the following:
a. the nominator,
b. a member of the Sigmetrics Executive Committee,
c. a member of the Rising Star Research Award Committee.
4. Nominations that do not result in an award can be resubmitted in
The nomination materials must be emailed by April 30, 2009 to the
committee chair: <[log in to unmask]>.
A PDF version of this announcement is available at