SIGMETRICS-MEMBERS Archives

ACM SIGMETRICS-MEMBERS List

SIGMETRICS-MEMBERS@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Carey Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carey Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2011 09:33:54 -0600

SIGMETRICS Community,

Attached for your information is the SIGMETRICS
annual report to let you know what your SIG has been up to
for the past year. A copy of this report has been sent
to ACM Headquarters as well. I believe that this is my last
official duty for you as the outgoing SIGMETRICS Chair.

I would like to congratulate and welcome the new SIG
Executive Committee who took office on July 1, 2011:

    Chair: John C.S. Lui (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
    Vice Chair: Vishal Misra (Columbia University)
    Secretary/Treasurer: John R. Douceur (Microsoft Research)

    Board of Directors:
    Thomas Bonald (Telecom ParisTech)
    Erich Nahum (IBM T.J. Watson)
    Evgenia Smirni (College of William and Mary)
    Adam Wierman (Caltech)

It is good to know that the SIG is in good hands going
forward for the next few years. A new Editor for the SIG's
Performance Evaluation Review (PER) newsletter will be
appointed soon as well. My best wishes to all!

Carey Williamson
Past Chair, ACM SIGMETRICS

P.S. Make sure to renew your SIG membership if you want to stay
on this mailing list, since ACM will likely prune it soon!

SIGMETRICS Annual Report (2010-2011) ------------------------------------ ACM SIGMETRICS had another strong and active year, culminating in the SIGMETRICS 2011 conference at ACM FCRC 2011 in San Jose. In addition to a strong technical program at the conference, we presented our annual SIG awards, and held our Executive Committee meeting to discuss the state of the SIG as we hand over to a new slate of SIG officers this summer. Awards ------ Dr. Onno J. Boxma was selected as the recipient of the 2011 ACM SIGMETRICS Achievement Award. Dr. Boxma holds the chair of Stochastic Operations Research in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science in Eindhoven University of Technology. His main research interests are in queueing theory and its applications to the performance analysis of computer-communication and production systems. He has published about 180 refereed papers on these subjects, and he is co-author/co-editor of five books on queueing theory and performance evaluation. Dr. Boxma received his award at the ACM SIGMETRICS 2011 conference in San Jose, as part of ACM FCRC 2011. The citation for his award was: "For outstanding contributions to queueing theory and exceptional leadership in the performance evaluation community". The 2011 ACM SIGMETRICS Rising Star Researcher Award was presented to Dr. Adam Wierman. Dr. Wierman is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computing and Mathematical Sciences at the California Institute of Technology. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Carnegie Mellon University in 2007. His research interests focus on resource allocation and scheduling decisions in computer systems and services. His PhD work received the CMU School of Computer Science Distinguished Dissertation Award and an honorable mention for the INFORMS Doctoral Dissertation Award. He has multiple paper awards to his credit, including the 2003 ACM SIGMETRICS Best Student Paper Award, the 2010 IFIP Performance Best Paper Award, and the 2011 IEEE INFOCOM Best Paper Award. He has also received multiple teaching awards at CMU and at CalTech. Dr. Wierman received his Rising Star award at the ACM SIGMETRICS 2011 conference in San Jose. The citation for his award was: "For fundamental insights into scheduling and fairness in modern computing systems". Our SIG presented its next "Test of Time" award at the ACM SIGMETRICS 2011 conference as well. This award honours SIGMETRICS work published 10-12 years ago that still has significant impact today. There was a tie this year for the award. The co-winners were: "A Case for End System Multicast" by Yang-hua Chu, Sanjay Rao, and Hui Zhang (ACM SIGMETRICS 2000). This paper demonstrated that multicast functionality could be provided at end systems using an overlay network, with only modest performance penalties. "Stable Internet Routing without Global Coordination", by Lixin Gao and Jennifer Rexford (ACM SIGMETRICS 2000). This paper provided a formal analysis of BGP routing policies, and showed how to ensure convergence to stable Internet routes without requiring routers to divulge their BGP configurations. Conference Activities --------------------- The annual ACM SIGMETRICS conference is the premier forum for performance evaluation research, which spans a wide range of application domains in computer and communication systems. The 2011 conference took place in San Jose as part of ACM FCRC 2011. Arif Merchant (Google) was the General Chair, with Kim Keeton (HP Labs) and Dan Rubenstein (Columbia University) as Program Chairs. Because it was an FCRC year, organizing the conference was slightly easier than usual, since dates, hotel contracts, registration, and catering arrangements were handled by ACM HQ. However, there is still a lot of communication/coordination required with ACM, and several items are beyond the control of the General Chair (e.g., dates, scheduling, room assignment, catering prices). The registered attendance for our event this year was 120, which was lower than expected, but still above the budgeted break-even point of 100. A particular highlight this year was on the sponsorship front, with the General Chair raising a total of $38K from sponsors, which really helped with the bottom line for the conference. We expect to finish with a small surplus of $5-8K from this year's event. The general feedback on the conference was very positive. The main conference was 2.5 days, from Thursday to Saturday. Two workshops were offered prior to the conference, namely MAMA (MAthematical performance Modeling and Analysis), and Green Metrics. Tutorials were also offered prior to the conference, but the attendance for these was disappointing. The technical program was very strong, as usual. The 57-member PC had 21 first-timers who brought new faces, topic areas, and energy to the process. HotCRP was used for paper submission and review. There was a two-phase review process, with all papers getting 3 reviews initially, and then the most relevant papers getting an extra review prior to the PC meeting, which was held at Columbia University in late January. Ultimately, there were 26 papers accepted from 177 actual submissions (15%), and 20 posters as well. The program had a good mix of theory, systems, and networking topic areas. Two papers received awards at the conference: Best Paper "Topology Discovery of Sparse Random Graphs with Few Participants" Animashree Anandkumar (University of California at Irvine), Avinatan Hassidim (Google), Jonathan Kelner (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) Kenneth C. Sevcik Outstanding Student Paper Award "Network Architecture for Joint Failure Recovery and Traffic Engineering" Martin Suchara (Princeton University), Dahai Xu (AT&T Labs-Research), Robert Doverspike (AT&T Labs-Research), David Johnson (AT&T Labs-Research), Jennifer Rexford (Princeton University) The SIGMETRICS/Performance 2012 conference will take place at Imperial College in London, UK on June 4-8, 2012. The General Chair is Peter Harrison (Imperial College), and the Program Chairs are Martin Arlitt (HP Labs) and Giuliano Casale (Imperial College). Early indications are that we will have a well-attended and well-organized conference, including a cruise on the Thames. The dates, location, and organizers for SIGMETRICS 2013 are yet to be determined, by the new SIG Executive. New Initiatives --------------- An ongoing initiative for our SIG is a proposed new journal, tentatively called ACM Transactions on Performance Evaluation (ToPE). We are currently updating our proposal based on feedback received from the ACM Publications Board, and have constituted a tentative editorial board and two Co-EiCs (Editor in Chief) for the journal. We hope to have the journal approved for launch later this year, perhaps in time for the SIG's 40th birthday in November 2011. Issues and Challenges --------------------- An ongoing challenge for our SIG is the slowly declining membership, which has been a trend for many SIGs since the introduction of the ACM Digital Library. We hope that the new journal, our awards program, and our increased visibility from co-sponsored and "in cooperation" events will help to promote the value of SIGMETRICS membership, and allow us to grow our membership base in the years ahead. Leadership development is also a potential concern, as there seems to be a "changing of the guard" in the age demographic of SIGMETRICS. Finding high-quality people for technical roles such as PC Chair is not a problem, but we are exhausting our list of more experienced leaders for General Chair and SIG leadership roles. The recent trend of pressing Executive members into service as General Chairs for our conference is not really sustainable. More effort is needed to identify and nurture our future SIG leaders.