Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:05:29 -0500
From:
Mike Brenner <[log in to unmask]>
QUESTION 1. How do you do it?

I convert by hand, although I have awk, perl,
python, snobol, Ada, Java, and xslt conversion scripts to help me.

QUESTION 2. What is OWL?

OWL file format stores ontologies. Ontologies record
semantics (literal meaning of words) at kindergarten level.

Ontologies use URIs to represent nouns. Ontologies use
triples (subject, verb, object) to represent relationships
between pair of those nouns.

The triples in an owl file form a multigraph (also called
a network or a web). You can look up equivalent meanings
in the multigraph. You can also compute the semantic
distance between two words (by giving forwards and backwards
costs to each relationship type).

OWL has weaknesses. OWL cannot adequately represent:

        partially accurate relationships
        importance of relationship
        the "golden" source of the data
        units of measure
        level of definition
        similarities and approximate meanings
        How the semantics map to real-world contexts
        Multiple or partial contexts

In general, if you read Aristotle or Aquinas on categorization,
or if you read Wittgenstein on the meaning of phrases or on
levels of quotation in language, you will be sorely disappointed
at owl. And, for that matter, you will be disappointed
at the state of modern semantics research and the tools
that are available.

The sorry state of semantics tools is precisely why
people don't have any artificial intelligence yet.

Mike Brenner