Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Karl Nyberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:41:46 -0400
   From: [log in to unmask]
   Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:10:16 -0500

   This editorial applies to high tech employees in general, not Ada developers
   specifically.  I would presume that the free enterprise principals will catch up
   with this outfit if they can't fill these positions at the rates they offer.

   Regards,
   Scott Edgerton

Given that this was the second time that this posting had been made in this
forum in the past two months, it would appear that these positions are not
being filled.  Thus we are presented with the following possible impression:

      There's Ada work available.
      There's no Ada talent available.

leading people to potentially conclude:

        We better not stake our future on Ada because we won't be able to
        get Ada talent.

I'd love to be doing development in Ada, all other things being equal.  But
I'm not going to take a pay cut of 40 - 60% to do so (and I've contacted
almost every one of the folks who post here with opportunities).  If the
returns on the Ada projects aren't high enough (one of the major points of
the article I quoted) to support my involvement and there are other projects
(in C by the way) with sufficient returns, I'll go elsewhere.

The phrase "long term contract" in this message is twelve months.  I'm on
the fifth year of a three month contract.  The phrase "good hourly rates" in
this case are a full 30 - 40% less than the rate paid during this entire
five year period.  It's not competitive for me (and apparently not for
others) and I wouldn't want people to draw negative conclusions about Ada
from a situation that has business implications not related to the language.

-- Karl --

   Date:         Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:40:35 -0400
   From: Patti Brletic <[log in to unmask]>

        Team Ada Members:

        We have many openings for ADA Developers for a project in Rockville,
        MD.  The environment is C/Unix.  It is a long term contract with
        good hourly rates.

        If anyone is interested, please contact me at your earliest possible
        convenience.

        Thanks.

        Patty Brletic
        Technical Recruiter