Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Programming Language Advocacy" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Stephen Leake <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 11:55:20 -0400
Rick Duley <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> I have a package which I wish to make available to students without their
> having knowledge of its contents.  I believe that a copy of the
> specification and a read-only copy of the .ALI file are all that need to be
> available on the LAN. (Q.1.: is this correct?)

no, they also need the object file, or a static library containing
several object files

> My machine is a PC.

<rant>

"PC" means "Personal Computer". It does _not_ mean "Intel processor
running Microsoft Windows".

A "personal computer" could be a Mac, a Wintel, a Palm, a Linux box, a
Chrome box (if that every comes out) ...

Microsoft wants us to think that the only possible personal computer
is a box running their software. That's a _very_ good reason to resist
that nomenclature!

</rant>

I'll assume you meant Intel processor running Windows.

> I am running GAP's GPL compiler. (Q.2.: will the ALI be portable if
> a student is running a MAC or one of the Unicies?)

The ali file may be, if they have the _same_ version of GNAT.

The object or library file will most likely not be.

You'll have to build a binary for each possible target.

--
-- Stephe