Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:57:12 -0400
From:
"Robert I. Eachus" <[log in to unmask]>
At 05:50 AM 6/11/1999 +0400, Alexandre E. Kopilovitch wrote:
>"Robert I. Eachus" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>..."The best PDL for Ada is Ada."
>
>I guess that PDL stands for "Project Design Language", right? Or maybe,
>"Project Description Language"?

    Program Design Language.  Once upon a time programmers used flowcharts
to create and document a design.  Then most people switched to pseudo-code.
 Now the trend is back to graphical design languages like UML.  UML is not
bad as a requirements definition language for Ada programs, to avoid the
sort of problem that started this thread, but detailed design for Ada
programs should use Ada.  In fact, I and a lot of other poeple I know have
used Ada as a PDL for other languages, especially C.

>What those PDR and CDR stand for? Probably "P" = "Project", "C" =
"Components",
>"D" = "Design" or "Description" and "R" = "Review" or "Requirements".

      Preliminary Design Review and Critical Design Review.

   Basically PDR should occur after the design team has a complete design
proposal, and CDR when the design is complete.

>I guess that RFP stands for "Request For Proposal", but what is CM?
>Maybe, "Customer's Memory? -:)

      Configuration Management.  The CM system is used to track which
source (and often object) files were used in a particular system build and
to allow those versions currently tracked to be recreated.  Failure of the
CM system means that you have no way to know what software is in the
product.  (Most large projects not only use CM systems, but store a copy of
the CM files off site.

                                        Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;